Emergencies: What to Do If You Are In Trouble Abroad

If you are reading this and are in trouble here’s who you contact depending on your emergency

  • If you are the victim of a crime
    • Call the local police if you are fairly certain that is safe and productive; then call your embassy.
    • If you’re not sure about local law enforcement, call your embassy.  Even if it’s not during standard office hours, most have emergency contact numbers.    It’s usually good to call your embassy because it’s a second source that knows you’ve had trouble and they will be looking out for your best interests.
  • If you are being accused of a crime or have a legal problem
    • Call your embassy!
    • Then call your closest friend or relative to have her or him start researching legal counsel in the country where you are since you will likely be busy or may be interrupted.
  • If you are sick or injured
    • If you have travel insurance, call their phone number and get their input on whether you should be evacuated home at once or which local treatment option is covered and will be able to handle your emergency.
    • If you have health insurance and it covers travel, call their number with the same questions.
    • If you don’t have travel insurance or health insurance, check for the closest clinic with urgent care capacity unless your situation is dire and you need the nearest hospital.  Local clinics with extra capacity may be less expensive.
    • Call your local contact if you have one since they might be able to assist with transport and other needs as well ask now of clinics and doctors.
    • Call your closest friend or relative at home since they can help research your condition, talk with doctors and keep you oriented when you’re not feeling well so you make the best decisions.

If you are unsure what to do or the above sources are not helpful, email us and we’ll do our best to assist you.

Leave a Reply