Although we love the convenience of keeping information on our smart phones, we have experienced enough problems that we recommend carrying paper copies. Examples – an earthquake broke the internet cable, phone ran out of power, intermittent or nonexistent internet connection, phone fell into water and drowned, the app failed, etc.
Modify the below list for the type and destination of your travel.
- Credit and debit card numbers (and numbers to call if stolen/lost)
- Photocopy of your passport
- Photocopy of your visas or visa applications to enter your destination country
- Phone number of your travel company
- Global medical call number (or medical insurance card and number)
- Glasses prescription and any other medical documents that you may need
- Phone number and email address of emergency contact(s) in your home country
- Phone number and email address of emergency contact(s) in your destination country
- Phone numbers and emails of your travel companions
- Your country’s Embassy phone number in your destination country (good to put this into your phone’s contact list, too)
- Photocopy of your plane tickets and other transportation reservations.
- Reservation or confirmation numbers of your hotels/hostels
- Reservation or confirmation numbers of events and tours you booked